Skip to main content

Why I Broke Up with NaNoWriMo and Decided to Just Be Friends

I know, I know. Last post I'm so cocky that I'll finish NaNoWriMo this year, even if it means I have to write 20,000 words in four days.

But as I was working on my NaNo manuscript, I realized something important. I wasn't having fun. Yeah, there are times when NaNoWriMo is as much fun as pulling a scab off, but it's still its own kind of masochistic fun.

The reason I'm not having fun is because my heart isn't into it. Last year, NaNoWriMo was exactly the kick in the pants I needed to write the YA novel kicking around in my brain. Trouble is, I'm still revising last year's manuscript. It's close to being done. Real close. So now's not the time to leave it at the party while I go off with the new manuscript. Not cool, man. Not cool at all.

And all I did with the new manuscript was tell it how great the old manuscript was. The new MC wasn't happy with that. She wants to speak with her voice, not some other MC's. She wants her story, not some rehash of what my other MC did.

So, really, the break up was mutual. One day, we'll probably get back together again. On our terms. In our own time. And I'm okay with that.

Comments

  1. So funny. So true.

    Glad you're close to finished on the novel, Monica. It's a really terrific one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment