Skip to main content

Debut Author Challenge - May Update

One thing that I've realized doing the challenge is that it's okay to make changes on the fly. I started this as something fun to do and I wasn't very scientific on how I chose what titles to read. So if one title wasn't readily available, I would switch out with a title that was. Which is why Entwined was my May read instead of How I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend.

And really, I'm behind a month. There was no April read. But I figure if I read 12 debut books by the end of the year, I'm good. Right? (Please say right.)

To complicate matters more, I'm itching to read Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell, which isn't YA or debut. But Sarah Vowell is pretty awesome and the book is sitting on my coffee table looking all wistful and lonely, like a older cat at a pet adoption who isn't even going to try to compete with the kittens.

To complicate matters even more, last year I started a summer reading program for myself to get out the fiction/nonfiction rut I was in. I mentioned that to a friend of mine, and her response was, "What's there beside fiction and nonfiction?" By that I mean poetry, plays, and graphic novels. June is plays, July is poetry, and August is graphic novels. I really, really want to be able to read at least one of each this summer. Because I believe the more you read, the more well-rounded as a writer you are.

What are your reading goals for the summer? Juicy beach reading? Scary stories around a campfire?

Comments