Skip to main content

Reader's Corner - May 2012 Update

"Mr. Holmes is kind of hawt."
May has been a super busy month, so I haven't been able to get that much reading in.

I did finish The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which is remarkable and important and everyone should read it.

I started the YA mystery The Little Woods by McCormick Templeman, which has been enjoyable so far.

I also started A Study in Scarlet, the first of the Sherlock Holmes tales by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I never read any Sherlock before, but I've loved the many incarnations in films and television, especially the version portrayed by Jeremy Brett.

But, of course, the latest incarnation is the best. (No, Robert Downey, Jr., that isn't you.) I'm talking about the Steven Moffat produced Sherlock series on BBC and PBS. This is a modern, sexy, oh-so-smart adaptation of the detective in the deerstalker hat. Benedict Cumberbatch is spot-on as the brilliantly mercurial Sherlock Holmes, but it's Martin Freeman as the long-suffering Dr. John Watson that gives the show its humanity and much of its wit.

Sherlock trailer:



Series Two has already aired, so try to catch it from the beginning online or on DVD.

Happy reading!

Comments